View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Pop-up Ground Blinds 
6 Pointer

Post Pop-up Ground Blinds
As most of you know, I don't like heights and won't hunt hang-on or climbing stands. I am semi-comfortable in a ladder stand and fully comfortable in a well built permanent stand so I hunt the ground 95% of the time. I never really liked pop-up blinds but I recently read a post where many replies agreed with the author so now I am curious to what you all think.

The post was mostly talking about how most people think that you have to set up a blind ahead of time and leave it out to get the deer used to it and that is simply not the case. And when I think back to my experience, I have only hunted pop-up blinds that were sitting out for a while and most times, even sitting still, the deer knew I was in there wind or not. The post went on to say that the best way is to bring the blind in with you, pop it up and hunt it immediately, because deer are very curious and will come much closer to "check it out". There were many points to this theory shared in the post and the replies to the post all seemed to agree with this, most from experience just like the author.

Having only hunted a blind that was out overnight once, and one that was out all the time way ahead of the season, and having deer not come close to it, and know I was in there, I am leaning towards agreeing with the "take it in, pop it up and hunt it immediately" theory.

What do you all think?

Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:44 pm
Profile Send private message AIM WWW
12 Pointer

Post Re: Pop-up Ground Blinds
Give it a try and see how it works out but it makes scense

Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:50 pm
Profile Send private message AIM WWW
8 Pointer

I have hunted from my pop up more than a few times when the weather was bad and good but the most hunting I have done with it is during turkey season. I can honestly say despite sticking to the 10/100 rule, deer avoid it and will snort at it UNLESS it is brushed in flawlessly. That being said..... I have had as much luck as you with the blind. Keep trying and see what works.

Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:28 am
Profile Send private message
6 Pointer

I have one that I used quite a bit before i got my climber and now i just want to get up as high as I can.
The blind works well but I didn't use it long enough to say,
If I had land I would leave it out as long throughout the season, but also wouldn't hesitate to spring it up anywhere else.
If it's mean to be, it's gonna happen anywhere at anytime. While some behavior is predictable often times it is not and as you know the deer will pop up out of now where when you least expect it.
Goo Luck!

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:38 pm
Profile Send private message
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]