View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
14 Years in the Making!!! 
12 Pointer

Post 14 Years in the Making!!!
I write this post with a huge smile on my face as today has been one of the best days in my hunting career. Today it finally all came together and I took my best buck ever. I have been hunting for the last fourteen years and over that time span I have shot many deer but nothing bigger than a six pointer. Today Charlie was gracious enough to let John and I hunt some of his stands on his sister-in-law’s horse farm on Long Island. John and I were hunting about 80 yards apart on the edge of the trotter track where Charlie had been seeing some great bucks. The morning started out slow with nothing at first light. Then I saw a spike and five does come through at about seven. After that I saw the small resident eight pointer walking the track towards where John was. The deer got down wind of John and picked up his scent and trotted back into the woods. He was kind of heading in my direction so I got my bow ready in case he came by within range. That deer never came back out of the woods but about five minutes later I looked to my right and saw nothing but rack walking in my direction. I got the video camera on the deer and watched him eat and slowly make his way towards my stand. At this point I was starting to think that this might actually happen and my nerves got the better of me and I started shaking. It got so bad that I had to lean my knee against the tree to slow it down so the deer wouldn’t see me. I had to keep telling myself to calm down and take deep breaths. He proceeded to get closer and closer, and at that point I noticed a person walking down the track so that he could bring one of the horses into the barn. All I kept thinking was that the hunt was about to get screwed up. As the person was getting the horse out of his corral the deer spotted him and froze up at 25 yards and watched him with a big branch blocking any possible shot. I was just waiting for the deer to bolt and the hunt to be over at that point, but to my surprise that didn’t happen. The deer watched patiently and when the person and horse were on their way back to the barn, he turned to head back towards the woods. I drew back, he took a few steps towards the woods, cleared the branch and I released an arrow on him and watched it disappear right behind the shoulder with a perfect double lung shot. The deer ran about 60 yards and fell over. That’s when I lost it, I couldn’t believe what I had just accomplished and I questioned if it really just happened or if I was dreaming. I quickly called my brother who watched the entire thing from his stand. When I got down and got over to the deer we realized that the deer was the exact eight pointer that Charlie had shot at on Wednesday. Charlie’s arrow just grazed the top of his back and the wound was already starting to heal. Charlie has some great velvet footage of this buck and a bunch of trail cam shots of him. The other cool part about this hunt was that my brother Joe got to share in the action as well even thought he was hunting upstate at the time. John was on the phone checking in with Joe at the time that he noticed the buck under my stand and realized that I was probably going to get a shot, so he was able to give Joe the play by play as if he was right there with us. The feeling I felt today after I shot this buck was like nothing I have ever experienced before. After hunting so hard for so long it really made me appreciate how fortunate I was to take this deer. I really want to thank Charlie for letting us hunt his stands and being such a great friend. It’s going to take a long time for me to come down from this high I’m on right now.

Attachments:
DSCN1148.jpg
DSCN1148.jpg [ 78.75 KiB | Viewed 2740 times ]
DSCN1145-1.jpg
DSCN1145-1.jpg [ 90.79 KiB | Viewed 2740 times ]
PICT0009%20(2).jpg
PICT0009%20(2).jpg [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 2740 times ]
PICT0178%20(2).jpg
PICT0178%20(2).jpg [ 967.22 KiB | Viewed 2740 times ]

Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:05 pm
Profile Send private message AIM WWW
6 Pointer

Post Re: 14 Years in the Making!!!
Hard work deserves a big reward, congrats, glad to see you're having a successfull year with that new bow. Great Buck!!

Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:11 am
Profile Send private message
8 Pointer

I am happy for you! Thats one of the best feelings and it will last ALL year. It will be renewed when you go pick him up from the taxidermist and each time you look at him on your wall. Im just glad you made a perfect shot and was able to watch him go down........ incredible! last year was my year...... this year.... not so much!?!? HA! HA! HA! HA! Congrats again. Great pictures.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:33 am
8 Pointer

This is my favorite picture of him. Just such a great buck!!
Attachment:
PICT0217.JPG
PICT0217.JPG [ 474.93 KiB | Viewed 2732 times ]

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:37 am
6 Pointer

That is one helluva buck. Congratulations. It's a great feeling to shoot a buck of that caliber and Charlie is right, it last forever. I mounted my ten from last year in the living room so I can see him all the time. And it always brings a smile to my face. This will do the same for you I'm sure. It's nice to shoot deer but it is a real treat when it is a great buck like this one. Enjoy the everlasting memory you'll always have, you deserve it. As for Charlie I am sure you are having a little joy of your own. It is a great feeling to give a new or old hunter a first. I have had the blessing of giving a lot of first deer here on my property, first bow kills, first bucks and it is as good as if I shot that first deer again. Some guys ask why I let so many hunt when I have a few big deer here and it is because I enjoy passing it on. If a family member would have shot the deer I took this year I would have been as happy for them as I was for me. Passing it on and sharing good fortune always brings a great feeling. So congratulations to Mike on killing his biggest buck ever and congratulations to Charlie for making it happen.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:09 am
8 Pointer

Congrats on the great buck bro!!!!!!!!!! I was glad i was able to be there and share it with you. It was pretty exciting to look over and see that thing standing right by your stand and watch the whole thing unfold. once i saw him jump and kick out his back legs i knew you made a good shot and that was going to be a dead deer.

John

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:28 am
Doe

Great Story! Great Deer! People dont realize how much time, effort, and energy goes into harvesting a deer of that caliber with stick and string. Enjoy every minute of it man! You deserve it!

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:06 am
12 Pointer

Thanks guys I can't wait to put the video together as soon as I do I will post it.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:25 pm
Profile Send private message AIM WWW
Spike

nice buck mike you deffinetly deserved that buck after 14 years of being in the woods

Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:33 pm
8 Pointer

Here are a few pictures from the days prior to Mike taking that beautiful buck.
Attachment:
PICT0292 (2).jpg
PICT0292 (2).jpg [ 784.5 KiB | Viewed 2690 times ]
Attachment:
PICT0163 (2).jpg
PICT0163 (2).jpg [ 437.22 KiB | Viewed 2690 times ]
Attachment:
PICT0170 (2).jpg
PICT0170 (2).jpg [ 675.4 KiB | Viewed 2690 times ]

Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next