View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Scouting 
8 Pointer

Post Scouting
Mike and i Went out on sat and scouted out a few spots for opening day of bow for long island. We really didnt see too much sign but we did manage to find a few good trees to climb to film if we can get the spots. Chiggers were real bad even though we sprayed down but neither of us got one tick on us so i guess the spray we use that says protects against chiggers really doesnt work to well for them. I hope the weather cools down and by the opener we have some good temps and we can get into one of the spots we were able to scout.

John

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:20 am
Profile Send private message
Doe

Post Re: Scouting
If you are talking about getting into a spot on the stateland (Rocky Pt/Otis Pike) there is nothing worse than getting close to the spot you want to hunt and seeing the reflection of taillights already in the spot first thing in the early am. Last season I started doing pm hunts to try to avoid this, and if I still did not get the spot I wanted, at least I didn't have to find a tree to climb in the dark!!!

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:02 am
Profile Send private message
12 Pointer

Post Re: Scouting
Yeah I know the feeling; we just wanted to have an extra tree in mind just for that reason. We have a bunch of spots on LI that we know pretty well and wanted to explore a few more as a backup plan. That way when we don’t get the spot we want in the morning we have other spots that we can keep trying until we get lucky enough to find one that is available. Hunting LI state land can be extremely frustrating but with the quality of deer that LI is capable of producing, it’s definitely worth putting up with.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:53 am
Profile Send private message AIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]