View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Long Island buck down 
Doe

Post Long Island buck down
I shot this buck in Suffolk on some private land on 11/14/2010. The story actually started the evening before. I sat this particular stand for the first time on the evening of 11/13. As soon as I get in the stand around 2:30 pm I hear the unmistakeable sound of a deer coming. I was just getting my calls out of my pack and putting my release on when a doe came walking by the stand at about 5 yards. I watched her for a while & she meandered off. I saw another 4 does and at the same time from the opposite direction I hear a deer running towards me - a spike. He passes me and two minutes later comes back from the path he came, nose to the ground & grunting. I figured something was up so the night ended with high hopes for that spot in the morning.

The next morning was cold and quiet. I had not seen a single deer until about 8:30 a.m. A small 5 pointer chased a doe into a thicket in front of me and that was it for another hour. All of a sudden I look to my right & I see about 8 deer running about 80 yards out. I do a few grunts and I hear a buck grunt back. A doe came running out of the thicket & right passed my stand. Then came the 5 point. I look to my left & I see a nice buck do an about face & turn & trot away from me. I pulled the can out & he came on a dead run 4 yards to the base of my tree. Spined him & a quick follow up shot and he was done. Shot him at 10:30 am. He is a 7 pointer with a broken browtine & tip of the main beam on his right side. His left side G2 & 3 are broken off pretty good and he had fresh scabs on the back of his neck from a fight.

Attachments:
2010 BOW BUCK1.JPG
2010 BOW BUCK1.JPG [ 1.67 MiB | Viewed 1517 times ]
Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:43 pm
Profile Send private message
6 Pointer

Post Re: Long Island buck down
Congrats!, Great story and a Very nice buck!

Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:54 pm
6 Pointer

Nice job. Great deer. Super story. Got to love that private property hunting in Suffolk. Congrats.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:11 pm
8 Pointer

Good story and congrats. Good thing you passed the spike and five point!

Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:54 pm
12 Pointer

Nice buck, congrats!!! Are you coming up for gun season this weekend?

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:31 pm
Profile Send private message AIM WWW
Doe

Thanks guys! i will be putting the bow down this weekend and going to my farm upstate. Got some trail cam pics of some nice ones. I did a fair amount of bowhunting up there but I couldnt seem to get rid of the wind! Good luck to all tomorrow!

Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:17 am
8 Pointer

Congrats on the long island buck. I love hunting out there and will be back out there soon. I feel like i have a better chance at taking a nice buck out there with the bow than i do hunting upstate with my gun. Keep us posted on how you guys make out up there during rifle season.

John

Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]