View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
My Late Season Iowa Muzzleloading Hunt 
6 Pointer

Post Re: My Late Season Iowa Muzzleloading Hunt
OK just a quick Update. I had great week hunting in Iowa but unfournatley the weather did not cooperate. Way to warm and no snow on the ground! I did manage to see a few good deer with the biggest being in the 160's. I filmed a few of them, but the shooters that I did see were all too far away to get a shot at. So here I am down to my last evening hunt on Christmas Eve with day light fading and I see a nice buck walking above me in the Timber. I was on the ground and had my primos shooting stick which I immediately grabbed and rested my gun on it as I took aim through the scope. There was a lot of brush between me and the buck and I really did not think I would get a clear shot at him but I kept following him through the scope. All of a sudden the deer stops at about 75 yards away and as I am looking through my 9X power scope I see that I have small opening to shoot through. I said to myself "It’s either now or never" so I cocked the hammer on my T/C and taker the shot. The deer immediately took off running and disappeared out of view. I immediately look up and was amazed to see how much brush was really in the way between me and the deer when I shot. As I look closer I could see a small branch about the size of your ring finger with a bullet hole through it. I knew right away that this was not good. The bullet must have deflected I assumed. I walk up to where the deer was standing and I saw no blood or any sign of a hit. I then walk up to the field where I think the deer had run and I looked around and found nothing. I met the landowner on top of the field and explained the whole story to him and he agreed also that the bullet must have deflected and missed the deer. It was Christmas Eve and I had to catch my plane in the morning so I did not have time the next day to go back to the scene and look more. Fast forward to 5 week later this past Sunday. I get a frantic call from the landowner telling me that he thinks he found my Buck! I was dumfounded? He explained that he was out shed hunting and he came across a dead buck not to far from where I had shot my buck, and in the exact direction I told him that it had ran. He also said this buck looked exactly as I had described the night I shot at it! He said he was going to send me a cell photo right away. Well as soon as I saw the left side of its rack I knew right away that was the deer I had shot at! The buck stayed down in the timber and never ran to the top field. I saw other deer with my buck at the time I shot so when I saw all the deer running after I shot up to the field, I just assumed my buck had ran the same way! The deer was pretty badly chewed up by coyotes and such. but the skull and rack was still intact. I have such mixed emotions that it's hard to describe. I wish I would have walked down into the timber after the shot instead of assuming the deer ran up to the top field! I am happy that my friend/Landowner recovered my buck, but I wish I could have found it right after I shot it. I will be driving out to Iowa at the end of this month to do a little shed hunting and I will meet up with my friend so he can give me the skull and rack. I am not sure what I am going to do, but I will either get a European mount or a full mount, but I will have to find a cape for it, if I do the full mount. It is the biggest Buck that I have ever taken. My friend measured it right around 140 inches. Well I was going to make the story short but I see that did not happen! Lol! Sorry that I never updated how my hunt went but I was not so thrilled to come back from Iowa again with nothing to show for it. Maybe when I finally get a chance to hold my rack in person I will have different feelings. The whole situation just feels weird and hard to explain. Thanks for reading. Here is a photo of my buck with my friend's wife posing with it.

Attachments:
My Iowa Buck 2011.jpg
My Iowa Buck 2011.jpg [ 703.83 KiB | Viewed 2616 times ]
Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:24 am
Profile Send private message
6 Pointer

His Left side as I saw him before I shot. I remember saying to myself that one of his tines looked broken off but his other tines looked to have some good lenght.

Attachments:
photo3.JPG
photo3.JPG [ 450.43 KiB | Viewed 2616 times ]
Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:29 am
6 Pointer

A unique photo my friend took with his Dad holding the rack.

Attachments:
photo4.JPG
photo4.JPG [ 32.33 KiB | Viewed 2616 times ]
Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:31 am
12 Pointer

Pat that's an amazing buck, it sux that you didn't get to enjoy finding him and bringing him home with you. I guess in the end it turned out better than you though, you didn't think you killed the buck and now you will have him in your possession as the biggest buck you ever killed. I understand what you mean about mixed emotions. Happy to have him and the rack and unhappy about the way it went down. Either way great buck, thanks for sharing your story.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:13 am
Profile Send private message AIM WWW
8 Pointer

Awesome buck pat!!! Sucks that you didnt get the buck while you were out there but atleast you will have it back in your posession soon.

John

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:58 am
6 Pointer

Nice Buck, what a mass on those Iowa racks. Every hunt has a story and this just makes it more interesting and one you will tell over and over again for years to come and now you have the mount to go with it.
I admire your dedication in driving 18 hours for a shed hunt.
Thanks for sharing.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:20 pm
8 Pointer

I cant wait to see this deer. It sucks a little that you couldnt claim victory right away and you had to live with that sick feeling in your gut those weeks. At least you know now that you didnt blow the chance at the shot.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:46 pm
6 Pointer

C.Beck wrote:
I cant wait to see this deer. It sucks a little that you couldnt claim victory right away and you had to live with that sick feeling in your gut those weeks. At least you know now that you didnt blow the chance at the shot.

Guess you will get to experience it with me when I finally put my hands on his rack! Thanks. One more week!

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:44 pm
6 Pointer

Nice Pat! We all know the feeling of missing, wounding or never finding a deer because you simply lose the blood trail. At least hopefully that feeling is gone now and you can be happy that you at least got the rack back.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:19 pm
Profile Send private message AIM WWW
6 Pointer

Great deer Pat. Glad you got your rack. The best part that will last you a life time.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next