View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Grumman Is opening up for special gun season!!! 
8 Pointer

Post Grumman Is opening up for special gun season!!!
I just heard that the old Grumman property in Riverhead town is having a special gun season this year!!!! It has NOT been open to hunting in TEN years. Thats not saying it HASNT been hunted but if you are a Riverhead town resident go to town hall and get in on the ACTION!!!!! My step father got in and will be there this Monday and Tues!

Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:55 am
Profile Send private message
6 Pointer

Post Re: Grumman Is opening up for special gun season!!!
http://riverheadlocal.com/town-hall-not ... tes-dec-21

Looks like the lottery was Monday after that snow storm, too bad it was only for town residents.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:33 pm
8 Pointer

There was no lottery.... you can go down to town hall and sign up. My step father was suprised by the lack of people signing up. He says the second week was still open and some spots in the first week were open too.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:09 pm
12 Pointer

Wish I could get in on that... :(

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:58 am
Profile Send private message AIM WWW
6 Pointer

I hunted there in 2000 and took a small ten pointer. I saw a couple of the biggest deer I ever saw in there and my buddy took a nice nine and a big eleven. John told me they were opening this again, so I read about it on the web. Seems like it is a gun hunt only in january, souonds like a cull hunt to me. I guess after these bastards in the Town of Riverhead poisoned over 2500 deer in the winter of 2001 they figured they better not try that again. So they open a shotgun hunt. I hope anyone that goes there gets a nice one, but the big number herds no longer exist. The place is not the place it was 10 years ago. They estimated the place at 3000+ deer in 2000. Now they say 500 deer. I know guys hunt in there that have shops in there or work in there. I also hear that Riverhead officials hunt in there, I guess they want to open it up to thin the growing herd again. But it will not be like it was before the mass poisoning of a 3000 plus deer herd. I remember seeing a HUGe 150 class 8 pntr in a herd of 80 deer, only to have a perfect 30 yard shot and over shoot him. I also saw the BIGGEST TEN I have ever seen at 80 yards, a 170 class or bigger typical with 3 does. I frooze on Decemer 29th 2000 trying to get that deer to bow range while I watched him lay there as he watched his does eating toward me. DEC blew it for me when they decided to drive a dirt patrol road past my set up and chase off a dream. But in 2000 without exagerating I saw close to 150 deer on my 3 day hunt. So if you're hunting in there get the early part of the month and maybe you;ll get the shot at a nice buck. Shame on Riverhead for developing this parcel of land, they could have sold hunts in there but instead they bowed to the anti's and then killed the deer herd with bacteria. Got to love our government.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:28 am
6 Pointer

And anyone that is hunting in there this JAnuary. I see the most activity on the north west side of the property when I spotlight and glass the fields.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:29 am
8 Pointer

I was there too Hughie. I saw so many nice bucks out of bow range. Had one nice eight first hour of the first morning come under my stand but I passed him dreaming of those GIANTS I always saw when driving past. I would go there and glass monsters in the evenings to get pumped up for the season. Once I saw a bachelor group in late August of over 40 BUCKS!!!! BIG BUCKS! It still 3000 acres and probably not hunted nearly as hard as anywhere else nearby...... gotta be a few bigguns in there.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:06 pm
6 Pointer

Absolutely Charlie, there are definatley big ones in there, but no where the amouny of deer that there was in 2000. Remember all the dead deer all over the porperty. I remembetr tracking my ten pointer and seeing a lot of dead deer. At first I thought guys were shooting them and leaving them for something better but i rooled a few and there was no wounds. Just starving I guess. We had the snow and the ice that year and it was terrible cold for December. Sort of like this year and last.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]