View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
2011 Turkey Season 
6 Pointer

Post Re: 2011 Turkey Season
Nice job on the great bird.

Tue May 03, 2011 8:20 pm
Profile Send private message
12 Pointer

Congrats, thats a long beard for a hen.

Wed May 04, 2011 7:52 am
Profile Send private message AIM WWW
12 Pointer

I just got back last night from my three day turkey hunting trip. We had a lot of action on day one. Sunday morning we didn’t hear any gobbling off the roost so we setup in one of our best spots and did a little cold calling. We called in a hen but the rest of the birds worked there way out into the field. John and I snuck to the bottom of the field just inside the wood line and set up our decoys. We called in three Jakes and John shot one accidentally hitting another. We got the entire thing on film pretty good. Then we went to another location and had two birds gobbling their heads off. We managed to call them in but as I was waiting for them to present a good shot and good footage for the camera they spotted us an started to alarm put I knew it was now or never so I took a rushed shot and hit a tree. The footage from that hunt is pretty good too. Monday the woods were quiet and we didn’t hear a thing. Tuesday we had four birds gobbling good at first light and managed to call two of them within 30 yards but they were on top of a little crest and John and I were on the bottom. All we needed was for them to stick their heads up and it would have been a chip shot but I think after a while the hens lead them away and that was the end of that hunt. John is still up there in the woods right now so hopefully he will have some better luck today. I already can’t wait to get back after them Saturday.

Wed May 04, 2011 8:04 am
8 Pointer

Nice Bird Adam!!! I saw a bearded hen on the back road behind my house on Saturday morning.

John

Thu May 05, 2011 12:42 pm
8 Pointer

Well guys i got back from upstate last night and now its back to work for today and tomorrow then its back upstate to get another two mornings in of turkey hunting. Here are some pics of the birds that i shot on Sunday. I was a little dissapointed that i shot two of them with the one shot but i guess it happens sometimes. Good luck to anybody going out this weekend.

John

Thu May 05, 2011 3:10 pm
12 Pointer

I was an exciting few days of hunting to say the lease. It was just as much fun filming as if I actually shot the bird my self. Congrats again bro. Tomorrow night we will be back in camp throwing darts and taking about Saturdays hunt.

Thu May 05, 2011 4:31 pm
Doe

Hey, 2 birds with one shot isn't an easy task, I've tried a few times to do that and havn't had much luck! Good luck to everyone this weekend, hopefully the weather will be alittle warmer and the birds will want to talk and play.

Thu May 05, 2011 7:33 pm
12 Pointer

We are heading back to the woods tomorrow, good luck to all that will be hunting this weekend.

Fri May 06, 2011 9:44 pm
12 Pointer

Turkeys got the best of us today. We got in before light got setup under them about 45 yards away. Turkey gobbled good on the roost, and then when it got light he pitched down right at us. As soon as he hit the ground he saw something just wasn’t right and flew away. In a matter of seconds what I thought was a dead bird managed to escape to see another day. We went and setup in a different field after that and had a hen come through. As we were sitting there we heard a bird gobble to a crow call on the ridge behind us so we took off in that direction. When we got close to where we thought the bird was going to be, we never heard a peep from him again. After that the rest of the morning was slow.

So far this season has been the slowest in a long time as far as gobbling goes. I know there are a lot of birds in the area we are hunting but they just don’t seem willing to play the game.

Turkeys - 1 Rubino Brothers - 0

Sat May 07, 2011 11:22 am
8 Pointer

Pat and I went out this morning. Heard plenty of gobbles from a few roost sites but I think they are all with hens. They will gobble at our calling and we managed to see a few strutting but they are hanging up way outside of range. Had a few moments when I thought we might get one to come in but o cigar.
I set up a ground blind an will hunt there in the morning where we saw some strutting today. I will try to self film this one.

Sat May 07, 2011 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next