View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
NY 5 Year Plan 
12 Pointer

Post NY 5 Year Plan
The Dec just released its 5 year plan for whitetail deer. I didn’t read the entire thing yet but I did notice that they are proposing to open bow season upstate on Oct 1 like on LI. I also noticed that they have an early muzzleloader season and youth season during the bow season. Not sure I like the use of guns during bow but it is during the week and it’s only four days. It also says as needed so it might not be for all areas. I’m going to read the entire thing later. If I find anything else worth mentioning I will post about it.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf ... an0611.pdf

Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:48 am
Profile Send private message AIM WWW
8 Pointer

Post Re: NY 5 Year Plan
Alot of great proposals!!! Bowhunting during L.I. shotgun, Weekend hunting L.I. shotgun, Oct.1st opener SZ. Opening up Nassau to deer hunts, to list a few. The DEC has finally put some effort into listening to all of our complaints. Cant wait to see what happens.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:18 pm
Profile Send private message
12 Pointer

I read through it again last night and I think Charlie hit most of the major changes. They are also talking about expanding the antler restriction program to 3A, 4G, 40, 4P, 4R, 4S, and 4W. We hunt in 4R and 4S so I’m definitely in favor of this change. They might also eliminate the need to get a town permit to hunt during the January shotgun season on LI which deters some people. One other change I saw was the restriction on how far you need to be from roads and houses to discharge a firearm or bow from 500 feet to 150 feet. I don’t really like the use of muzzleloaders during the bow season. Like Charlie said can’t wait to see what happens.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:06 am
Profile Send private message AIM WWW
8 Pointer

Yea it will def be interesting to see if they actually change any of this for the upcoming season.

John

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:44 am
6 Pointer

I do like the Oct 1st opener in the southern zone! The best thing that NY could do would to bring back the one Buck rule! I do like the antler restrictions but I would rather see the on buck rule! Also as far as the early muzzle loading season for antlerless deer, I am ok with it, but the problem is that guys would use it as a chance to shoot a buck! NY has such a rampant problem with guys not tagging their deer, reporting it, or using someone else's tag! What makes you think that when a huge bucks comes strolling past them and they have the muzzle loader in hand, that they won't shoot it!! I still have to read the whole report.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]