View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Rutting activity?? 
8 Pointer

Post Rutting activity??
What are you guys seeing out there?? Yesterday afternoon Pat and I sw a small eight point nudging some does around..... he was persistant. When the does ran away he gave chase..... you guys seeing any heavy scraping, rubbing or chasing going on yet??

Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:13 am
Profile Send private message
12 Pointer

Post Re: Rutting activity??
Didn’t see any rutting activity but we did see a lot of bucks. We thought that with the wind we wouldn’t see much Saturday but we saw a lot of deer regardless. We ended up seeing seven different bucks in two days. Saw a few at first light, my brother Joe almost got a shot at the seven pointer that we were seeing on our trail cameras. Then we saw two bucks in my uncle’s field Saturday mid-day, so my friend Dennis tried to put a stalk on them, he got close but no shot. It turned out to be a spike and a really big four pointer. Had one shooter that was about 35 yards on Saturday night, but it was really dark and John didn’t want to risk a shot. Sunday morning we had a four pointer right under the stand. We had as good a weekend as you can have without killing one. John is still up there hunting until Tuesday. This weekend we will be hunting the Island again.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:38 am
Profile Send private message AIM WWW
6 Pointer

I didn't make it up this weekend so i was really looking forward to your update report. I was out east on Saturday, also very windy , just a few does here and there but nothing else. I always wondered what exactly people meant about others "not foloowing the rules" on LI. Well it was pretty annoying when I kept seeing Hikers and horseback riders. PArking is for one car and people just don't respect that. pretty frustrating after you been sitting there all day.
I kept moving around, I guess the trick is to get in real deep away from it all. The problem with that is that I don't know there area real well and don't want to risk getting lost in the dark or having to dragging the deer out hundreds of yards by my self.
For now it's still the best next thing closest to my back yard. I even saw some really inexpensive homes out there with backyards right on the state land, Nice!

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:22 am
12 Pointer

Yeah the Island hunt is a tricky one sometimes and yes it can definitely be frustrating. The best thing to do is to get a GPS, I got one last year and it’s awesome I can go wherever I want and never have to worry about getting lost. I mark good trees for my climber and then I can go back in the next hunt in complete darkness and it will get me right to the base of the tree. It’s definitely good to get deeper in where there are fewer people but like you said the drag will kill you. If I’m by myself I try not to go too far. Sometimes the other people help you too. I have had times when they push deer right by my stand, especially small game hunters. The problem with the houses that border the state land is that they sneak in and hunt without permits or permission. Me and John have been in spots where we were thinking we were the only ones in there and then seen people come right from their house. We were out there opening weekend and we had DEC come right to the base of our stand and check all our documents. They said that’s exactly what they were trying to catch because they got a lot of complaints about people coming from their houses and not parking in the spots. It’s guys like that the mess it up for everyone.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:46 am
Profile Send private message AIM WWW
8 Pointer

I have been seeing ALL does and really small bucks every time out. No rutting activity. Have not found any new rubs or scrapes. They have been hitting scarpes during the day a bit according to trail camera pictures. Cant wait for it to start!!

Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]