View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Broadhead Troubles 
12 Pointer

Post Broadhead Troubles
Well Saturday John and I did a lot of shooting to make sure our bows were dialed in for the Oct 1st opener. We shot at all different distances with the GlenDell positioned at all different angles. We even set up a stand on the lawn so that we could practice shooting from real hunting scenarios. All that went well and we were right on the mark. Then I decided it was time to test my broadheads to make sure one last time that they were flying the same as my field tips. I took one shot with my Rocket Hammerheads and it was perfect, then I took another shot and it flew out of the bow and whipped like I have never seen before. It looked like a bottle rocket, I found it stuck in a stump behind the target. Then I took another and it curved to the left like a boomerang. At this point I was getting annoyed and didn’t know what was going on. I have been shooting these broadheads for years and never had a problem. This is the first time I shot them with the new BowTech and also with a drop away rest. I was pretty aggravated so I put the bow down and walked away to do something else for a few hours. Then I called Hughie to see if he had any pointers, we decided that I should try the Grim Reapers that I had won in a photo competition on his forum a year ago. I took three shots with them and they all hit perfectly. After further inspection I noticed that they were sticking out of the back side of the target and none of the blades were open. Aggravated again I walked away. Then I started to read the directions in the package and it said that in most cases once the broadheads pass through the target the blades will snap back closed due to the forward motion of the arrow. So next I took a few shots with paper on the back of the target and sure enough they were opening as they passed through. So this season I will be shooting Grim Reaper broadheads. I still don’t know what was up with the Rocket Hammerhead but I think it could have something to do with my new drop away rest. In the past I always shot them through a whisker biscuit which might have stabilized the tail of the arrow as it passed through eliminating any whip. Or it could be the new lighted nocks I purchased. This is my first time shooting broadheads with my new bow with all new accessories so it could be anything. I have been shooting my bow all summer perfectly with field tips but never shot my broadheads until this weekend because over the course of the last 10 years I have never had a problem with them flying different. Needless to say next summer I won’t be waiting until the last minute to test my gear.
Attachment:
IMG00112-20110917-1235.jpg
IMG00112-20110917-1235.jpg [ 695.55 KiB | Viewed 2793 times ]

Attachment:
IMG00113-20110917-1539.jpg
IMG00113-20110917-1539.jpg [ 404.18 KiB | Viewed 2793 times ]

Attachment:
IMG00120-20110918-1019.jpg
IMG00120-20110918-1019.jpg [ 784.78 KiB | Viewed 2793 times ]

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:52 pm
Profile Send private message AIM WWW
6 Pointer

Post Re: Broadhead Troubles
Mike it sounds to me like you took the time to make sure you were ready! Some people don't even practice with their broadheads! That is the reason I like to shoot mechanical broad heads because they fly like a field point! Charlie shoots the G5 Montec Broadhead and they shoot just like field points! I am going to try the G5 this year after not being happy with my penetration experience last year with the Rage Broadheads! Nice group on your target!

Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:20 pm
Profile Send private message
6 Pointer

Mike what lighted Nocks are you using this year? I am going to try the Firenocks! I have also heard good things about the nocturnal nocks.

Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:23 pm
8 Pointer

Mike try spin testing the arrows and check for wobble. I used to shoot Steeleforce broadheads and found that one out of three would need tuning. It does make a difference. I now shoot the Montecs, they shoot exactly like my field points.

Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:55 am
Spike

THE FIRST THING YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT IS ARROW SPLINE. AN UNDER SPLINED ARROW WILL TEND TO WHIP COMING OUT OF THE BOW.
THEN TAKE A LOOK AT ARROW CONSISTENCY. WHEN YOU TRY TO SAVE MONEY ON ARROWS THE STRAIGHTNESS AND WEIGHT DIFFERENCES ARE MUCH GREATER IN THE CHEAPER SHAFTS SO YOU TEND TO GET SHAFTS THAT LOOK VERY MUCH THE SAME BUT FLY VERY DIFFERENTLY.
THEN AS CHARLIE SAID YOU NEED TO CHECK THE TUNE OF YOUR BROADHEADS BY SPIN TESTING THEM. UNFORTUNATELY THIS NEEDS TO BE DONE WHEN YOU ASSEMBLE CARBON ARROWS BECAUSE THE INSERTS ARE EPOXYED IN NOT HOT GLUED SO ONCE THY'RE IN YOU CANNOT REMOVE THEM WITHOUT VIOLATING THE INTEGRITY OF THE SHAFT. THE G-5 BROADHEADS MENTIONED ARE GREAT BUT REMEMBER THE STRAIGHTER THE SHAFT THE BETTER THE TUNE OF THE ARROW. SO IF YOU TAKE A 100 DOLLAR BROADHEAD AND PUT IT ON A BARGAIN PRICE SHAFT WITH UNTUNED INSERTS IT WILL NOT FLY AS YOU THINK IT WOULD.
ALSO CHECK THE CENTER SHOT OF YOUR BOW EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE SHOOTING A DROPAWAY REST IF YOUR CENTER SHOT IS NOT RIGHT YOU CAN GET WHIP. ALSO CHECK THE TIMING OF YOUR CAMS IF YOU'RE SHOOTING A 2 CAM BOW AND CHECK THE TIMING OF YOUR DROPAWAY REST IF ITS TIMING IS NOT RIGHT IT CAUSES FLETCH DRAG HENCE CAUSING THE WHIP. ONE MORE THING CONTRARY TOPOPULAR BELIEF UNLESS YOU'RE SHOOTING FIXED BLADE BROADHEADS WITH A CUTTING DIAMETER OVER 2 INCHES OR SHOOTING FINGERS YOUR VEINS NEED NOT BE HELICALLY FLETCHED. STRAIGHT FLETCHES MOVED FORWARD ON THE SHAFT TO IMPROVE F.O.C. OR FRONT OF CENTER FLY BETTER THAN THE MORE COMMONLY FLETCHED HELICAL ARROWS. JUST TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT YOUR TOPARCHERS SHOOT SMALL VEINS FLETCHED FORWARD. BUT THAT IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT DISSERTATION ON ARROW DYNAMICS THAT I CAN GIVE.

Tue May 08, 2012 8:11 pm
6 Pointer

What can I say but WOW!

Wed May 09, 2012 8:56 pm
12 Pointer

Great post thanks for all the info. Sounds like you set a few bows up ... :D

Thu May 10, 2012 10:50 am
Profile Send private message AIM WWW
Spike

I have experience as a bowtech and I build custom fletched arrows. Have also done extensive testing on fletch placement to achieve maximum arrow tune and performance.

Sat May 12, 2012 4:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]